Friday, June 19, 2015

Copper Clay Success!!!

So.... I had success with firing the Art Clay Copper!  I did a lot of online research before firing and decided to follow the directions I found HERE.  I fired it in the coconut shell-based carbon (even though it wasn't necessary), mainly to avoid the thick, black layer of fire scale that was supposed to happen if you fired without it.  I pretty much followed the directions for firing the COPPRclay, but the results with the Art Clay Copper were much better!  I fired at 1778°F for 3 hours.  I did not put a lid on my firing pan.  This firing schedule is also recommended on the Art Clay Copper online info sheet  (which I discovered later).

Here are my results:

The top ornament was made with the COPPRclay (it was under-fired), and bottom was made with Art Clay Copper.  You can see the pitting that occurred when I tried to polish the COPPRclay with a wire brush (both ornaments were polished using only a wire brush).  The COPPRclay did shrink more than the Art Clay Copper too:
living with ThreeMoonBabies | COPPRclay vs. Art Clay Copper

Here is another photo of the wire-brushed ornament made with Art Clay Copper: 
living with ThreeMoonBabies | wire brushed copper clay house ornament

 And now for fun with adding a patina (part of the reason I wanted to work with copper clay so badly)!!!  This patina was created using only vinegar and salt.  I put some salt on the ornament and placed a vinegar soaked cotton pad on it.  The patina will wash off, so you might want to add a sealer to protect your desired finish.
living with ThreeMoonBabies | copper clay house ornament with salt & vinegar patina

 Another picture of the finished ornament:
living with ThreeMoonBabies | copper clay house ornament with patina

Well, I was excited to share my finished results with you!  Hope to have more copper pieces to share soon!  Thanks for stopping by:)

P.S.  While doing some of my research, I found there are lots of different copper clays out there....you can even make your own!  Also, check out the work of this amazing metal clay artist!

1 comment:

netflix customer service said...
This comment has been removed by the author.